Need a delicious but healthy dinner idea? This is your new go-to recipe! By using chickpeas, this curry packs protein and fiber without using any meat. The spices add rich layers of flavor to this vegan, gluten-free dish!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 medium yellow onions OR 1 large red onion, sliced
- 14 ounces/400g fresh tomatoes, diced (if using canned, drain the tomatoes)
- sea salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces/454g can chickpeas, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 13.5 ounces/383g can coconut milk*
- 2 teaspoons coconut flour (OPTIONAL)**
- 1 small lime
- In a deep pot over medium high heat, add the coconut oil.
- Add in the onions and tomatoes. Grind some sea salt and ground black pepper over the mixture and stir together. Lower heat to medium and allow to cook down until juices of the tomatoes are naturally released and onions are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the chickpeas, garlic, garam masala, curry powder and cumin. Stir to combine.
- Add in the coconut milk and stir again. Add in the coconut flour which helps to slightly thicken the curry. Bring the curry to a boil, and then reduce to medium-low so that the mixture continues to simmer for 10 to 12 more minutes.
- Taste the curry and season with salt and pepper if you desire. Remove the curry from the heat and squeeze a lime lightly over the top of the curry, stirring to combine. Don’t skip this step! Allow to cool slightly and then serve. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Jessica in the Kitchen